Thursday, March 17, 2011

Springing Forward

Surprisingly, I'm not referring to the time change or the coming of a beautiful season...in their literal senses, anyway. The Nix family has been sprung forward into a new home and a crazy time of transition. That's right, since my last post we've officially sold our home, packed up everything we own and stored it in 5 different locations, as well as planned out where we will be for the next 3 months until our move to DC. 
Moving week in our empty house

Our plan is complicated and includes us "living" in a few different places until June...let's just say God has opened many doors and we are grateful to friends and family for allowing us to become their temporary houseguests. We sold our home MUCH sooner than anticipated...
That is a real SOLD sign, unlike the fake one I posted earlier :-)
We are so very grateful but it has been a bitter-sweet whirlwind. We walked out of our door on Summit Drive for the last time this week, and it was so very difficult. While we are excited about our new life in DC (my husband begins a fellowship at the NIH in July), we are sad to leave North Carolina. After living here five years, this has become home. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, Jeff and I experienced so much in our first home so it was very difficult to say good-bye. For now, however, we are certainly springing forward into a changed time for our family and certainly, a new season.

"How is Judah?", I hear you asking. He has handled the transition very well....better than his mama and dada, I think :-) He never ceases to amaze me. When I think of all he has experienced during his first year of life (yes, my baby will be 1 tomorrow!), I become overwhelmed with so many emotions. On this, the eve of his birthday, I am incredibly grateful that he is my son and even more grateful that Jeff and I were able to experience the absolute joy of parenting him for most of his entire first year (we received his referral and first picture when he was just 6 weeks old). However, my heart is tinged with sadness as I reflect today. I think of this time last year, and my heart immediately breaks for Judah's birth mother. I cannot help but wonder what she is thinking, how she is hurting this week, and how she must miss sweet Judah. Although I will never know her personally, she has given me the greatest gift on this side of heaven...and I share in her heartache today. However, through Christ there is joy amidst the pain. And love is the greatest gift of all. Judah's birth mother chose love through ultimate sacrifice. Tomorrow, we will celebrate joy. And love will prevail.

Happy Birthday sweet boy!


4 comments:

  1. I love you Ginger Nix! I am praying for you all during this time of transition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY sweet little Judah!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, Judah! I understand your mix of emotions, that's a lot to take in. And as for his birth mother, she must have great comfort knowing that her son is surrounded by love and is warm at night, clothed and fed. I don't know if she even knows where he is, but I pray that God will give her a peace about it. Good luck on being gypsies for the next few months! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for your comment on my blog!! I can't believe people mistake Judah for a girl too! He looks even more boyish than Ezra. Unreal!
    We are in the process of moving too. Well we are staying in Columbus but moving to a different part of town. Our house went on the market yesterday. So scary! Hopefully Ezra handles the transition as well as Judah. Hope his birthday went well. I was so emotional for Ezra's birthday. Hugs to you!!

    ReplyDelete