Saturday, May 5, 2012

Going Green

With spinach. Now that Judah is a "little man" with big opinions and big tastes, he much prefers fruit and complex carbs....anything with a little extra sugar....who can blame him?! Don't get me wrong, I am a very fortunate Mama as he enjoys a variety from every food group and refuses very little~but I do have to work to keep the veggies (especially greens) a plenty. So I ventured into the world of green smoothies. Internet search warning: "green smoothies" (milkshake-like drink with raw greens) are a movement, made popular by granola-crunching adults. Thus, there are some complicated recipes out there with some special/rare ingredients. However, I found one that is very simple and kid-friendly to begin with....the "Groovy Green Smoothie," courtesy of mamaiscookin on AllRecipes.com...
1 banana, cut in chunks
1 cup grapes
1 6 oz. tub of vanilla yogurt
1/2 apple, cored and chopped (I peeled as well)
1 1/2 cups of fresh spinach leaves

Mix in blender. (I added a little ice.)


Our little J LOVES to cook and help in any way he can in the kitchen, so I thought I'd get him involved. While he was napping, I prepared the ingredients in small paper cups.


Judah was so excited to be in the kitchen after his nap. Let's go Mommy! 

Although he wasn't too sure about the spinach.

No need to hide the ingredients, though, as long as it involves dumping and pushing a button that makes a loud noise. 

It was a huge hit! He quickly slurped down the first glass and asked for seconds. This one's a keeper so I thought I'd share. You really don't need a recipe, though...just a little encouragement to add a little raw greens to your favorite smoothie combo. Go ahead...it's groovy.:-)

2 comments:

  1. That precious smile almost makes granma want a green smoothie--almost. It sure looks like fun making them! So glad my grandson has you for his MOM!! BTW: Love the new blog pic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginger,
    Love the new blog design and cover picture - really cute of all three of you!

    The smoothie actually looks good. I'm guessing you can't taste the spinach with the fruit and yogurt mixed in? Maybe I'll try making a batch for me and Libby. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete