Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Eating My Words

You are not hallucinating. That is indeed a "Happy Meal" in my son's hands, and yes he ate its contents. And loved every minute of it.

Those who know me well know that food is VERY important to me. Even more important is what type of food and from what origin is the food that Judah eats. From day one, I have made it a priority to make his baby food~from all organic sources~and try to have him eat as healthy as possible. And at one time (okay, several times) I've made the comment "I'm not sure when Judah is ever going to eat a Happy Meal." Well, I gave in at a mere 16 months of age. I know, horrible right? Call it poor planning, but this baby was HUNGRY on our way to the beach a few weeks ago and we were out of healthy options (and all food for that matter) in our car. If you've ever driven to the Florida panhandle through south Alabama, you'll believe me when I tell you that there are not many established towns, much less fine eateries. Thus, we saw the Golden Arches as our best option.
Of course we ordered the apples and milk, instead of fries and a soft drink (he still hasn't tasted either of these :-) but I have to be honest~I cringed a little when he bit into (okay, devoured) his chicken nuggets. Judah, on the other hand, thought it was fantastic.

And yes, he found the surprise at the bottom!
The surprise for me was that it didn't hurt him or even upset his stomach. In fact, he was "lovin' it!" And just for the record, this Mama LOVES McDonald's too~although I now can count on one hand the number of times I eat there in a year. I did, however, frequent it at least once a week as a child, and I'm doin' just fine! Regardless, this will only be a RARE treat for our little Jman...at least until he can drive his own car :-)

2 comments:

  1. Haha! I can definitely relate! I am always very aware of what I put in front of Tucker. He had his first Happy Meal at 17 months and it was b/c we were in the same dilemma! I always wonder why it is that people in the south don't like Panera's and such places??? You can never find a non-fast food resturant on your drive to the beach! Tucker has since had his 2nd and 3rd Happy Meals.... I think as long as they're not something that's done regularly, it's not going to hurt them, but I cringe everytime I think about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No offense to "people of the south" lol! I'm sure y'all like healthy food too ;) And, I'm sure there's lots to be said for us Kentuckians and our eating habits lol!

    ReplyDelete