The month kicked off with a trip to my sweet home Alabama to visit family and friends. This was a much anticipated visit, as we had not been since Christmas. In addition, my grandfather's 90th birthday occurred while we were home and my parent's pool was open for business! While in Alabama, Judah really enjoyed...
Eating summer foods
Relaxing in the pool with old pals
| Hangin' with his buddy, Braylen |
Meeting new pals
| Looking up to his cousin, Jordan |
| Playing with new friend, Knox |
| And another new friend, Kenleigh |
| He loved the "doggie" statue keeping watch over my parents' pool |
And experiencing a "splash pad" for the first time...and all things water, really.
I should also mention that this was Judah's first time in a swimming pool and he was a pro! He loved going underwater!
It was incredibly special that Judah and I were able to celebrate my Granddaddy Joe's 90th birthday with him. He had two birthday parties on the actual day of his birthday, and we attended both! I gave in and let Judah have cake and ice cream (your great-grandfather only turns 90 once :-) and let's just say he had difficulty going to sleep that night!
| Balloons tied to his stroller! |
| Happy Birthday, Granddaddy Joe! |
Two days after my grandfather's actual birthday, we were to have a family party and continue celebrating...a Hawaiian luau as a matter of fact. By Friday night, everything was in place for the party the next day. Even Jeff flew down from North Carolina to celebrate with us for the weekend.
No one was prepared for what took place the following morning. My grandfather called us at 8:30am explaining that he was worried about my Mammaw (his wife of 63 years) who was having a terrible headache and could not get out of bed. He knew Jeff flew in the previous night and was seeking medical advice and asking him to come over to see her. We were all actually taking a nap at the time of the call because we had gotten back to my parents' house from the airport around 2am the night before thanks to a delayed flight and lost luggage. And wouldn't you know that Judah awoke at 5am the following morning?! Anyways, as much as I wanted to stay in bed and nap when Jeff received the phone call from my grandfather, something told me to go with him. When I arrived at my grandmother's house, I could tell she was not well at all and that she was declining quickly. While 911 was called, I just kept holding her hand and telling her that I loved her. I am confident that in the first moments after we arrived at her house that she knew it was me holding her hand. I will not share all the details because they are personal and painful, but my Mammaw was having a massive stroke before my eyes. I knew she was slipping away and there was nothing we could do about it. She was taken away from her home via ambulance, then airlifted to a hospital in Birmingham. She took her last breath at 4pm that day in a hospital bed, and I am blessed to say that I was right by her side when she went to be with Jesus. As I grieve the loss of an amazing grandmother, caregiver, and friend to me, I am rejoicing and thanking our Lord that Judah and I were able to spend two precious weeks with her before her death, and that I (and Jeff and Judah) happened to be in Alabama when she went to heaven. I do not think this was coincidence. I will miss her so, but know that she is in a better place and thankful that she no longer suffers.
I love you, Mammaw, and can't wait to see you again one precious day!
| Taken Christmas 2010 |
So sorry to hear about your Mammaw. This post brought me to tears as I could feel how much love you have for her. I lost one of my grandmothers in June of last year and I was so sad she didn't get to meet Ezra. She gave cancer a good fight though! My dad told me she had photos of him all over her house and actually had 1 in each room so she could always see him. I had my dad take a photo of her holding Ezra's referral photo. I treasure that photo so much and I love that memory of his photo plastered everywhere. It makes me smile now. Sending love to you!
ReplyDeleteOh Ginger. What a whirlwind of emotions in such a short time. I'm so sorry about your Mammaw and for your sweet Grandfather. What a blessing to know she is with her Savior and you will see her again!!!
ReplyDeleteI cannot believe how BIG Judah looks! What a precious gift he is. I look forward to hearing about the 2nd half of June and for pics of your new place! Miss you.