Thursday, October 27, 2011

Our Not So Courageous Lion

Judah's Halloween costume was ordered months ago. I just couldn't wait to dress up our little man as a lion...after all it is his namesake. Well, Judah had other thoughts about dressing up. As soon as I took it out of the box, he had a very "cautious" look on his face. When I tried to put it on him, he screamed and cried crocodile tears. Really? Does this look scary to you?

I think I know the culprit...A few older kids whom Judah was exposed to at a local yoga class a few months ago dressed up with masks one day during play time and tried to scare him. Since then, he's really not been a fan of head-pieces, masks, and I guess friendly-looking Halloween costumes?? After a few weeks of him seeing it in the box and running from it while panting and widening his eyes (signifying, "Mommy I'm scared, do something about it"....yes, this is better than crying/screaming), I had pretty much decided that Judah was just going to be Judah for Halloween. I mean, that would be pretty cute, too.

Enter Dada....who was determined Judah would be a lion. Daddy's patience and creativity are amazing and persuasion and distraction were his tactics. ("Big boys wear costumes" (what?!), "Being a lion is the coolest." "Look, Allie-dog is a lion!", etc.) After several weeks of this, Judah at least warmed up to the body suit and wore it (begrudgingly) a few times. The head-piece and the feet? Forget about it. Until last Saturday.

Stay tuned to see how we were able to get at least the feet on him :-) Ok, I'll leave you with a preview...

2 comments:

  1. You were smart to get it so far in advance so he could warm up to it. I just showed Ezra his elephant costume yesterday and he wasn't scared but had no desire to wear the hat part, which is the key part. It stayed on for 5.5 seconds. Maybe. Sigh. I am hoping he at least keeps it on long enough to snap a few photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The power of Dada!
    I love him as Judah too! But I can't wait to read more! :)

    ReplyDelete