Friday, July 23rd, 2010
Friday had a much different tone as we knew this would be the day that we would visit several government orphanages. While there, we learned that out of the 63 agencies worldwide who are licensed to adopt children from Ethiopia, Gladney (our agency) is one of three who encourage/require you to visit the government orphanages. And although we knew it would be difficult, my heart was just not prepared...I don't think anyone's can be.
The needs we saw were vast and most conditions, heartbreaking. Some of the details I've yet to talk about with anyone, but let's just say I spent most of the afternoon in tears. However, there were moments of smiles, laughter, and hope. Some of the older children had quite the personalities, making us laugh and putting on "shows" for us. I will never forget the moment when I was buried in my husband's chest sobbing loudly, only to look up to find a pre-teen staring at me with the most confused look. I felt like she was thinking, "I wonder why that lady is crying? She looks so silly!" You see, for many of the older children this is the only life they've known, and for some it seemed to be okay as they do not know any other way.
The sights, smells, sounds, touches are forever etched in my memory. Although heart-wrenching, I am grateful for these memories because Jeff and I will never forget. In fact, we will dedicate our time and finances in the future for many many years to come...we were forever changed by this day, and we can only hope and pray that we can be a small part of positive change in the future for these beautiful children. Needless to say, that night we returned to our guest house and hugged Judah a little tighter.
| Driving up to one of the orphanages |
| Kechene Girls' Orphanage |
| Jeff giving out suckers to the children |
| This little boy took to Jeff immediately. This picture was taken right after he gestured that he wanted Jeff to fix his shoe. With torn clothes and no diaper, we still saw glimpses of a smile. |
If you would like to to help, please check out this sweet family's blog to see a current project that is underway to hire more caregivers in one of the orphanages we visited.
Aw... thanks for the shout out! We're still looking for more sponsors for caregivers! Those memories are permanently etched in my brain too! I think that same little kiddo attached to my hubby, too! We'll never forget that day!
ReplyDeletethank you for sharing. we too are adopting from ethiopia via gladney.
ReplyDeletethe pictures and words speak volumes about the need.
I am getting caught up on blog reading and this post really took me back to the Friday that we did the same round of visits and I am wiping away tears. Like you, I haven't been able to talk about that experience with too many people yet. I know that Damon and I are forever changed as well. I've been thinking of you guys and hope all is well! Hugs to you! Love, Emily
ReplyDelete