Recently, my hometown held a Celebrity Auction and Concert as a fundraiser for our local museum and arts center. A few months ago, over 30 "local celebrities" and Alabama artists teamed up to paint original artwork to be auctioned off at the event. Many of you will not be surprised that my Granddaddy Joe was asked to be one of the "celebrities," thus he has been working with a local artist for months on a watercolor painting. He told me about this venture a few weeks ago when he informed me that the picture he chose to paint was a beautiful scene from Africa-- from a photograph taken of the Serengeti in Kenya by a missionary from his church. I thought it was so neat that Granddaddy was revisiting an old interest of his (turns out, he was quite the artist back in the day!) and that he was painting a scene from Baby E's homeland! However, when I found out the painting was to be auctioned off, I was bummed that I wasn't going to get to see it-- yet so proud of my Granddaddy and the work that he was doing.
Last week Jeff and I went home to Alabama for a few days (more to come on that later!) at which point I thought the painting was long gone to the highest bidder. So much to my surprise, as we were sitting in the living room visiting with the family on Sunday afternoon, in walks my Granddaddy Joe holding the painting! In typical Granddaddy fashion, he says "Well, I hated to buy my own painting but I knew I wanted you to have it." We were so surprised and grateful for this beautiful gift! I am so impressed by his skills and am encouraging him to paint more often. It is an amazing watercolor that is going to look perfect in the nursery! I cannot wait to hold Baby E in his/her room for the first time and show him/her the painting that his/her Great-Granddaddy Joe made for for us. What a special gift that our family will cherish forever. And even more, I cannot wait for Baby E to meet the wonderful man that is his Great-Granddaddy Joe. He is such a blessing to us and all who know him.
I LOVE IT! What a wonderful gift! You tell Granddaddy Joe that when he starts to feel all "artsy - fartsy" again that Baby-T can use some art in his/her room!
ReplyDeleteThis coming from the lady who he thinks has great legs! ;-)
Yes, a wonderful gift indeed! That is sure to be Baby E's favorite art piece! :) How very special, Virginia! That painting will always be very special to you and to Baby E! I LOVE IT!!! I can just imagine that one day, many many years from now, Baby E will hang that same painting in his/her own child's nursery! I'm so glad you have the support of so many loving family members! I love you!
ReplyDeleteGinger and Jeff
ReplyDeleteWe are so anxiously awaiting the arrival of Baby E and have been following your progress; it seems like yesterday we were down this road with our own adoption journey waiting for Rowen and Hudson. I saw Mr. Joe at the local fresh fish market, Pinchers, this past Friday and he so excitedly told me about his painting and how he surprised you and Jeff with it. It will make such a special addition to your nursery!! He cannot wait for that little baby to get here and was very quick to let me know of his support and love through this journey with you two. We love you and pray that the next few months will go quickly and smoothly to bring Baby E home.
Love, Carol and Steve Sprayberry
What an amazing gift! I know you will enjoy it for the rest of your life- and hopefully it can get passed on to your own grandchildren!
ReplyDelete