We get asked this question a lot, and that's okay because it's not every day that your friend or family member tells you they're going to Africa to meet their child. I can sum it all up in three words: command, love, and need. Let me explain...First and foremost, this is where we feel God has called us to go. Through our journey to become parents, I've learned a lot about God's personality. He is Big. He is Powerful. He is Mysterious. He is Sovereign. He is Patient. He is Humorous. He is Comforting. He is Disciplinarian. He is Personable. He is Friend. He is Lion. He is Lamb. He is Father. He is Son. He is Spirit. Overall, He is VERY complex and I love it. After all, aren't we all complex? Our family is certainly going to be complex, and I'll love that, too. For well over a year, God has been revealing to us that our child is in Ethiopia. He revealed this in the still of the night, in the middle of our busy days, through talking and listening to other people, through song, through images, through the Word, I could go on and on. Sometimes, though, it takes a while to "listen," you know? Fear often holds us back from experiencing the life He has planned for us. It feels good to listen. It feels good to follow His command.
When we decided to take the leap, we discovered an incredible love for this country, with beautiful people and rich history. A country who is deeply compassionate about their children and wants to see them thrive. People with incredible spirit and perseverance, despite such vast need:
There are an estimated 6 million orphans in Ethiopia. 6 million. Can we even fathom that?
1 of every 6 children die before their 5th birthday
Doctor to children ratio is 1:24,000
Adult literacy rate is <40%
Life expectancy is 53 years of age
Jeff and I don't know what our completed family will look like or where the roads will take us to our future children, but we do know that this is the road to our first. I'll leave you with this video clip from our adoption agency that recently aired on Good Morning Texas.
No comments:
Post a Comment