Friday, January 11, 2013

Melkam Gena!

I'm writing this post illumined by our Christmas tree lights, all while holding a glass of hot cocoa. I do realize it's weeks after Christmas but it's only a few days after Christmas in Ethiopia. January 7th is the magical celebration of Christ's birth in Judah's homeland, so we will always celebrate it in our household as well. We've begun some new traditions around the holiday (in addition to keeping our decorations up at least through the 7th :-), such as eating Ethiopian food and giving one gift to Judah on the 7th.

This year we celebrated with our dear friends, the Schicks, at our favorite Ethiopian restaurant. The food was delicious, the company was great (we were joined by Gabriel's and Judah's grandparents!), and the boys behaved beautifully (unlike last time we visited this particular restaurant :) Unfortunately, I don't have many pics to document this, but here are a few.
Jeff and his mom enjoying what's left of the delicious food

Gabriel and Judah playing cars under the chair. Again, we were asked if they are twins :)
Christmas in Ethiopia is not necessarily a time of gift-giving (something I secretly envy, as opposed to our extremely commercialized American Christmas). If children get gifts at all, it is usually one small item of clothing. We'd like to keep this tradition in our house and this year it was great because we'd recently lost one of Judah's favorite winter hats. So I thought his Ganna gift would be a perfect time to replace it, especially since I found it on clearance! We explained over and over beforehand (as best you can to a 2 year-old) that it was Christmas in Ethiopia and that he would get one gift which would be something to wear. Before opening the gift, Judah seemed to "get" it (again, as best a 2 year-old can) and we even played a guessing game about what the clothing item would be. What came next was definitely unexpected....a huge crying fit~okay MELTDOWN~after he opened the gift. By the way, the hat was a different color than the one we lost so he wouldn't just think I wrapped something he already had :) I'd like to think that the tears came due to it being night-time and the fact that he was ready for bed or the fact that what was in the bag was not something he had guessed such as a shirt or pants. But the truth is, I think he a) thought all gifts should be TOYS and b) wanted more than one gift.

I'm sure it was unrealistic of me to think that my 2 year-old would understand that it was Christmas in another country and that meant getting a hat :-/  Hmmm...maybe I should have waited a couple of years before beginning this tradition? He finally stopped crying and we were able to tell him that there are children in Ethiopia and all over the world who do not have hats to keep their heads warm...not trying to make him feel badly for crying but simply leading to a discussion about appreciating gifts. He seemed to take it in and has since worn the hat with pride.

We worked very hard this year to not let Santa and commercialism overshadow Jesus and his birthday. We only gave Judah three gifts but that doesn't include gifts from everyone else and we didn't really think of the function of the gifts. There is clearly still work to do, and before we move on to hearts and candy I'd just like to document something we'd like to try for next year's Christmas gifts... something you want, something you need, something to wear (which will come on Jan. 7th) and something to read....and one more....something to give....as in to another family or child in need. I've seen this concept on several different blogs and love it.

So, Merry Christmas (Melkam Gena)~again~everyone! Here's wishing you Jesus as your best gift of 2013 and forever :)

3 comments:

  1. Enjoyed this post! I had no idea giving a gift of clothing was Ethiopian tradition. So I learned something.

    Have to admitted I laughed when you described Judah's meltdown over his hat. But it sounds like you and Jeff handled his reaction very well. And he will learn and understand more and more with each year.

    And I love your ideals on simple/few gifts for Christmas. Drew and I give the girls far less presents that any of our family. I figure we can scale back because no child needs that many gifts and I don't want to set their expectations at an unreasonable level. (Which our society is adamant in doing.)

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this post! It seems that as moms we beat ourselves up no matter what. I was feeling guilty a few days ago that we didn't really do anything with E to celebrate Genna. I was on overload from Christmas and from prepping for his bday but I still should have done something. Yet you DID something and were also beating yourself up. I think the hat tradition is great! And I love the idea of doing what they do in Ethiopia and giving an item of clothing. I think we will start that. Eat some Ethiopian food and get an item of clothing. I love it! And hopefully next year we will both show ourselves a little more Grace. :)
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Granma chose to think of Judah as the wise little boy who seems to be way too wise for his years instead of the toddler having a meltdown. Next year we are giving him two identical articles of clothing so he can give one away!

    ReplyDelete