Friday, December 16, 2011

Do You Hear What I Hear?

Unfortunately, I think Judah is requiring less sleep these days. Boo. Although unpredictable, most of his naps are getting shorter than his previous 3-hour stretches. And at night when we put him down around 7:30, I hear him having a grand ol' time....laughing, talking, playing...sometimes until close to 9pm! I've thought about pushing his bedtime back, but he seems soooo tired by 7:30 and he sounds perfectly happy during his nighttime soirees, so I don't know? Any advice on this one is greatly appreciated.

One night last week, I think God knew I needed some comic relief after a long, hard day. About an hour after I put Judah to bed, I heard a high-pitched noise coming from the vicinity of his bedroom door. I ignored it at first, but then heard it a second time and just thought it was him "whoo-ing," as we like to call it. (He's always rhythmically "whoo'ed" himself to sleep like an owl...a coping strategy I believe he taught himself in Gladney's Care Center when he had to sleep with a room full of babies). The third time I heard it, it seemed higher and louder than his signature "whoo." The mystery was solved when Allie-dog jumped off the couch and barked near his door. I could not believe what I was hearing.....unmistakeably his new favorite toy...
What?! How could this be? Did he climb out of his crib?! How did he find this toy in the dark? Is the Ghost of Christmas Present in his room? Sure enough, this is what I saw when I walked into his room...

Clearly, he thought it was hilarious. Okay, so I did, too :-)

I'm assuming he put the recorder/flute in his crib earlier in the day and I just didn't see it? Needless to say, I've been doing a thorough crib-search these days before night-night time. Love. this. kid.

4 comments:

  1. So adorable!! Ezra also has a noise to put himself to sleep. We call it his "motoring." He has always done it and I am sure it is a coping mechanism as well. He used to make a sucking noise too but he doesn't do that anymore. Just the motoring. He also went through a phase where it seemed like it would take him forever to fall asleep at night! He would just chat it up with his stuffed animals. But that passed and now he goes down right at 7pm and is out pretty quickly. I bet it will pass quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ginger...that picture of judah laughing made me laugh...what a cutie! so just to make you feel better, asher does the same thing at night. i can put him down around 7:45 or 8pm and he is usually found talking/singing/playing for a good 30 minutes, sometimes an hour before finally falling asleep. i have tried everything, but i finally just realized that this is how he winds down at night and that he would be fussing or crying if he was unhappy or needed me. anyway, now i don't worry about it. i know most of my friends 2 year olds chat like this for long periods of time before bed. maybe it's a developmental thing. hope you are well my friend!!!

    stacey

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! What a personality! What a kid!
    When you figure out the nap/bedtime thing- you let me know! I am thankful for you to be walking this road ahead of me!

    ReplyDelete